When you have an opportunity to shine, do you relish the spotlight?
Or do you run, hide, and curl up in the fetal position?
It's not uncommon to resist shining. Here are a few reasons why women entrepreneurs avoid it:
- General fear of "opening up" and the possibility of being ignored.
- The belief that shining will make others jealous.
- Equating shining to "bragging."
Some women who have been publicly recognized more than once or twice hit a block or self-imposed ceiling when it comes to shining.
They might think to themselves:
I've been in the spotlight quite a bit and people are probably tired of seeing me get attention. They think I'm showing off. I don't deserve to have this much excitement about my work.
The more I shine the more likely it is I will attract haters and trolls.
Does any of this sound familiar?
Before this negative chatter comes into play, we bet that all of you have had a taste of what it feels like to be heard and feel appreciated.
Shining is so much more than just attracting attention.
It's about truly being yourself and showing what makes you tick. It's about sharing what brings you joy.
When you open up about your passions it's almost impossible not to shine. This is what attracts people to you. This is what makes people want to do business with you.
And it feels so good.
Here are four quick tips that will help you get your shine on:
1. Surround yourself with shining mantras and affirmations. Grab a piece of poster board and write "I am ready to shine" on it and hang it on your office wall. Start inviting the opportunities to shine and begin to relish all things shine.
2. Share one of your favorite stories. What's one of your favorite memories? It doesn't have to be related to your business ... just anything that has happened that made you feel truly happy. Make a video or write about it on your blog—the medium doesn't matter what's most important is that you share it. No strings attached or motives needed ... just share because it made you happy.
3. Get some professional head shots. This is a huge game changer for many women. Do your social media profile pictures and website photographs make you feel amazing and reflect your true self? If not, it's time to make a change. This can help you see yourself in a new light and boost your confidence. Plus, when you get the call that Huffington Post would like to feature you work, you'll be ready.
(We have many great photographers in the Propelle network, let us know if you are interested in a photo session and we can connect you!)
4. Be the first to celebrate when others are shining. Tell them how much you appreciate what they do and how much you admire them. Encourage them to keep doing great things. If you feel a little jealous no need to fret ... recognize that this emotion is a clue that you want to shine more in your life.
Just remember. When you shine bright like a diamond, what you are doing is giving others permission to do the same thing.
And when the world is full of bright and sparkling people, it will most certainly be a better place.
So what about you?
Are you ready to shine?
Tell us all about it in the comments below.
P.S. Listen to this the next time you are thinking of turning down and opportunity to shine.