(Image source: Dennis Skley)
When first following your dreams and starting a business, you have this vision that everything will be perfect and you’ll have so much free time to do those things you could never do before, like take the dog for more walks, go on vacation, get to yoga 7 days a week, etc.
The truth is that if you don’t start making time for those things NOW, you will never create the habit(s) to do them later!
It sounds overwhelming, right? How could you possibly fit all of these extra things into your schedule right now?
As ambitious women, we aim HIGH. Aiming high can be a great thing: it is a big part of the reason female entrepreneurs are a force to be reckoned with. Maybe we’re loving our business so much and working long hours, neglecting to spend time with our partners, girlfriends, pets, and family. Not spending time with all those important people in your life is not sustainable, but the most dangerous relationship to neglect when we’re in launch- or work-mode is our relationship with ourselves.
We’ve all been there – you work-work-work and hustle your little buns off until one day you realize you feel completely dulled out and uninspired by what you’re doing.You feel like the honeymoon stage for you and your business is O-V-E-R and you’re locked in for a long, unsatisfying marriage ahead. Why does this happen!?!
Think of your personal happiness, energy, and enthusiasm as the fuel for your business.
When you are not functioning at your most optimal level, neither is your business or the relationships that make your life fuller.
So when we aren’t overflowing with love, passion, commitment, abundance, and any other feelings we want to call into our lives and work, we’re unable to deliver for both ourselves and for our businesses (…and that, sisters, is called “burnout!”).
The feminine energy is fullness.
As women, we must first focus on ourselves and making ourselves feel FULL of whatever it is we want to cultivate in our lives and businesses. Only then can we truly give the gifts we are meant to share with the world to our fullest capacity and with our greatest effectiveness.
Here are a few ways to fill yourself up first, so that you can, in turn, share your incredible gifts with the world:
- Radical Self-Care – Avoid the higher powers that be to force you to take a break by making you sick! Schedule meal times, breaks, deadlines, work hours for specific tasks (i.e. creating content, strategic planning, etc.). Also, prepare meals for your week (one of my favorite things to do on Sundays!). Create date nights with girlfriends and/or your partner, and make self-care a priority.
- Have a clear vision of what you want to create – Set time aside each month to envision and write down exactly how you envision things going in your life and business this month (the two are intimately intertwined!). This will help keep you focused and energized because you’re moving toward something extremely pleasurable!
- Flip Your “What Ifs” – Fear is inevitable when you’re taking risks outside of your comfort zone and following your dreams – the next time fear manifests itself in the form of a “What if” for you (i.e. What if I’m not talented/good/smart/ready enough?) try flipping it! Write each of your fearful “what ifs” down on paper, then replace each of those negative, fearful, and paralyzing “what ifs” with something empowering (i.e. What if I become a millionaire or double my income?). I love this tool, and it always helps to bring me back to why I’m doing something risky, which is to create something even better for myself and for the world!
- Work in Cycles — Plan out your year so it suits your natural productivity cycles – do you want to have the summer off and have your website & social media pages to be on autopilot during this time? Great! Then plan appropriately so you work your bum off over the winter months while sipping hot tea and cuddling up by the fireplace. Once you have your vision mapped out, ask yourself: what do I need to do to create this ideal situation? Maybe you consider how much money you’d like to be making, and work backwards to determine your rates per client.
- Support & Sisterhood – The biggest reason we don’t accomplish our aspirations is that we don’t have anyone in our corner holding us accountable or cheering us on! I like to call this a secret weapon in business – sisterhood is the MOST powerful tool you can have. That’s why joining a group like Propelle is SO necessary – as brilliant women joining forces, we are able to learn and grow together, both personally and in our businesses.
- Revise your Lexicon – Notice where the words you use either limit you or hold you back. How are you framing things for yourself? Are you making them seem undesirable? My life coach and mentor, Jeannine Yoder , suggests replacing the word “work” with “create” to allow your work to feel even more fun and exciting! This tiny little shift works in magnanimous ways.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Emily Cassel is a life coach & dream weaver, dedicated to supporting you in creating your dream life. She helps spiritual entrepreneurs and ambitious women to create clarity, action, and support in pursuit of their dream lives and in the process, become more aligned with who they truly are.
Emily is the founder of the networking group for spiritual entrepreneurs, Hippies In Heels, and works one-on-one with women all over the world through her virtual life coaching business. Click here to set up your free 60-minute Empower session with Emily!
Photo credit: Joey Kennedy