You know how your computer (or phone, or iWhatever) needs to be restarted every now and again to go back to working properly? The same thing needs to happen to your brain.
All of the noise in our environment, the craziness of our everyday lives, and the constant barrage of content that comes across our faces takes a toll. Without a reboot every now and again, we are on the fast track to forgetfulness, overwhelm, and costly mistakes.
But don't worry. You know we've always got your back. Or, in this case, your brain.
Here are 7 super simple ways to reboot your brain so that you can go back and kick some major butt in your business.
- Take a break from the screens.
It may feel like an impossible thing to do in this day and age, but taking a break from the screens (computer, television, phone, tablet, etc.) is one of the most effective ways to help your brain reboot. Even a 5-10 minute break is enough to give your mind a break from the constant activity.
- Go for a walk.
We are huge fans of anything related to walking and host regular Walk It + Rock It! events for our Rock It! Community. The combination of fresh air and movement stimulates blood flow to the brain, helping to give your brain a big old reboot.
- Take a power nap. That's right. We are officially giving you permission to take a nap. 20 minutes is enough to improve alertness and performance. And just in case you need some extra motivation for a little snooze, here are some of the brilliant minds that believed in naps: Eleanor Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, Leonardo DaVinci, Thomas Edison, and John D. Rockefeller.
- Drink more water. Most of us aren't getting enough water in our day-to-day lives. Studies show dehydration can slow down brain function, meaning we aren't performing at our best. A tall glass of H20 is a stellar way to get a little extra jolt of energy and focus. So... drink up!
- Get that body moving. No, we're not talking an hour and a half at the gym (though that would be great), we're talking something like 5 minutes of jumping rope or a 5 minute hula hooping sesh. Your brain (and body) will thank you.
- Put your legs up on the wall. Not only is this is a great pose for folks that sit at a desk all day, it's also a great way to relax and calm the mind. Yes. Please.
- Rock out to your favorite song. We're big believers in the power of music (have you seen our mini dance break?!) and how it can change your mood almost instantly. So, find your favorite jam, turn the speakers up, and belt it out girlfriend. It's good for business.
Here's to a little rebooting and whole lot of fun this week.